Why do some pictures of the STBK finish look purple and others greyish?

Updated
artifice
Is it the camera or are some of the STBKs actually more purple than others? Confused!
Shinji

Depends of the woods. It will always look like this. This is impossible to get a real trans 'black'.
Woods, pigments, chemical properties and varnish process are done like this.

DixSerina

They kind of change from what I've seen. No real "year" to buy them from. I have a STBLK F-400 and it's black in some light, purple in other light.

Shinji

artifice, depends of the light, camera, etc... But they are all purple/dark... Especially maple.

hermz

All depends on lighting. My V looks anywhere between blue, grey and purple. Under most 'normal' lighting it is black/grey though as it should be. Flash photos tend to make them look purple.

Piney Hills Music

sometimes they look green too... I know that Jackson's trans black on alder sometimes had a greenish hue to it, and I had an LTD STBL that was kinda a funky muddy looking color.

its just hard to stain something black, when the wood has a natural yellow tint to it.

Helldragon

the mystic ones...

k65h

I love the purplish looking one!

i think it looks sweeter than the grey/black.

Dilzdo21

wow my first band was called artifice , wow that is fuckin crazy never seen that word anywhere

Dæmonium

My Horizon FRII looks more purple than grey. It depends on the lighting as well.

phil

I really dig the purpleish look, so much that i want that colour as THE colour of a couple custom ideas i have :lol.

moosemeister

I would like mine to look gray when I take pictures instead of purple.

artifice

Yeh, I think I like the grey looking ones more too. Anyway, I've decided to buy a neck through M-II in solid black with EMG's instead of the Horizon so it doesn't really matter. Purple isn't really my favorite color.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Rohis

It's because ESP doesn't care about their customers so they have crappy QC on their paint jobs.

:lol

MV-CTM

It's because ESP doesn't care about their customers so they have crappy QC on their paint jobs.

:lol
schecter reigns supreme with crappy finishes, practically every trans finish hellraiser I've used has had some problems with the finish somewhere

Rohis

schecters are on the same production line as ESPs I believe. same company/factory/ etc

metalhobo

schecters are on the same production line as ESPs I believe. same company/factory/ etc

They are completely different companies. The only connection is that they are now owned by the same person.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Monologous

I have a Kramer eclipse type guitar that looks green, but they call it see throuhg black. Looks great though.

Post to Thread