• Will Pwr

Dimarzio Pickup Questions for HORIZON NT-II STB (my new axe)

Hello to everyone.

I am a new-comer to ESP Guitar, been playing for about a year now and I want to upgrade on my axe. I have fallen in love with the HORIZON NT-II STB, love the shape and the color. The only thing I would want to change on the axe is the pickups. I love the Dimarzio Evolution Pickups, so here are my two questions:

1. What is the difference between the Evolution F-Space pickups and the Evolution Standard/Regular pickups? (both neck and bridge)

2. Is there a different sound if a put the Chrome Evolution pickups to the Black Evolution pickups? (might a dumb question, but I must know)

Any kind of helpful information would be very much appreciated.

-Thanks, Will Pwr

• Brian

Oh please don't tell me you are back :rolleyes:

• Gfunk

1. Fender = F-Spaced / ESP Horizon = Regular Spaced

2. Not really. IMO black would look better. Chrome covered pups would make it look like it has braces.

:lol

• CL4P-TP

You should know that the Evolutions are not a very forgiving pickup. I hope you've played them already. I hated them when I first got them, but then I stopped sucking as much and now I love mine.

• Ravens Creed

I think the JB in the bridge position is perfect but if you want to go DiMarzio then I would suggest a Tone Zone in the bridge position and an Air Norton in the neck.

Evolutions are great but suit Alder or Basswood guitars more in my opinion.

• CL4P-TP

It should just be standard spacing. But if you really want to be sure, just measure the pickup in the guitar. 50mm is standard spacing, and 53 mm is F-spacing. And that's from pole to pole.

• CL4P-TP

Well I have standard spaced Evolutions in my Ibanez with an Edge Pro II. The high E pole pieces aren't even close to lining up, and the G and B strings are off. My high E is a lot quieter than any other string, so I can hear the difference.

• CL4P-TP

Nope. I'm not fancy with all the pole piece adjusting stuff. I just planned on putting the Evolutions in my Hellraiser and putting my EMG's from that in the Ibanez. I are lazy.

• Ravens Creed

I'm suprised you say the Tone Zone is the tonal opposite of the JB. They're not completely similar or I wouldnt have recommended it as an alternative but the Tone Zone is in the same ball park as the JB in my opinion. I wouldnt say it was darker either. Warmer, certainly wth more headroom and better harmonics.

• gorsch

you dont need F spaced. Those are generally for guitars with a trem but wouldnt hurt anything. I had a non F-spaced (regular JB) in my M200FM and the only difference I noticed was that bar dives and pulls, mostly pulls, didnt sustain as well. Really small difference though. Buy a Bill Lawrence XL500L (or dimebucker) and you dont ever have to worry about proper spacing.

• Xochitl

1. What is the difference between the Evolution F-Space pickups and the Evolution Standard/Regular pickups? (both neck and bridge)

NT-IIs need regular spacing bridge pups. You can read it from the (overseas) japanese website specs. Plus the JB I took out of my own NT-II was indeed a SH-4 (regular spacing).

On another hand, btw, NT-Is actually need F-spaced buckers (you can still read it on the japanese website).
      It sure may be a little confusing as, at first, F-spaced (DiMarzio) or Trembuckers (Seymour Duncan) were designed to fit Fender tremolo or OFR bridges.

No rule of thumb, sorry.

• Xochitl

Horizon NT-II with SH-4

Horizon NT with TB-4

Cancel