Unhappy with Gotoh Magnum Lock on Eclipse II

Updated
ESPdude
Hello everyone, Today I received my Snow White ESP Eclipse II and I must say that it is one of the best looking guitars that I have ever seen. However I think that the Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners are a tad annoying. This is my first experience with them and I have really grown to love my Sperzels on my EC1000. Firstly is there any reasoning that someone could give me for not changing them out? Secondly if there is anyone who wants to trade a set of black Sperzels for my Gotoh, please let me know. I believe they are a direct swap into my guitar. Thanks. -Antonio By the way does anyone know how to tighten or loosen the firmness of the gears (how easily they spin)? Thanks so much.
guitarsatbmusic

There is a reasoning for them, many people, including me, think the Gotohs are better, and better over the long term. And there's others who disagree.

Knucks

How well do they hold up against Grovers?

R11GJH

I have always found Sperzels bomb proof, got them on 6 or 7 axes now with no complaints.

strngthbyndstrngth

I would have traded you a couple months ago...I couldn't find the magnum locks with the mounting hole in the correct place, I didn't want to go with Sperzels cuz you will be left with un-used holes. Then I found the Planet Waves Trim-Locks fit right in the Gotohs holes, and they work just like the Sperzels. I've had them for a while now, with no issues. Plus the middle stem(where the string goes through) is black too...where on the Sperzels it is chrome. So the PWs look better than Sperzels IMO.

Hello everyone,

Today I received my Snow White ESP Eclipse II and I must say that it is one of the best looking guitars that I have ever seen. However I think that the Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners are a tad annoying. This is my first experience with them and I have really grown to love my Sperzels on my EC1000. Firstly is there any reasoning that someone could give me for not changing them out? Secondly if there is anyone who wants to trade a set of black Sperzels for my Gotoh, please let me know. I believe they are a direct swap into my guitar. Thanks.

-Antonio

By the way does anyone know how to tighten or loosen the firmness of the gears (how easily they spin)? Thanks so much.

riggawaggel

Sperzels have a 12:1 gear ratio whereas Gotohs are 16:1. more accurate tuning and intonation is possible.

baerman

The firmness or how easily the tuner button turns is effected by how tight the tuner button is screwed onto the base of the tuner. Just tighten the screw to the desired tension.

Post to Thread