22 Frets vs. 24 Frets.

Updated
seal se7en
Besides the two extra frets on a 24 fret guitar. What's the advantages and disadvantages on a 24 and 22 fret guitar? Does anyone actually use the 2 extra frets? Maybe soloing? -Thanks.
InVinoVeritasXXX

Sometimes you need those high notes, sometimes you don't.

Pushead

*groan*

You realize it's only the second octave if you're playing an open string, right? You guys read too many Ed Roman articles.

ToRo Pj0tR

*groan*

You realize it's only the second octave if you're playing an open string, right? You guys read too many Ed Roman articles.
:x

Yeah, if you're playing an open string it's the second overtone...

And if you're playing the 5th fret it's the 5th overtone, if you're playing the 7th fret it's the 4th overtone, if you're playing the 12th fret it's the first overtone, and so on on every string and fret that you get a natural harmonic out of...

And when you play those notes, a knot of the wave is directly on the 24th fret "node" or whatchamacallit...

And everytime you play between those frets, you still get a dampening effect(which you get with a 24 fret neck also, but in less amounts)...

So go read a physics for dummies book, before starting to bash a physics minor in a technical university...|I

load more replies (2 of 2)
MikeC

I keep atleast one guitar with each. I guess there better or worse for different things, so really it's just all a matter of opinion.

robbo22

its only a node if it doesnt move, u should know that, and if that were true you'd just get the note thats 2 octaves higher, but its predominantly (understatement of a word) the original note
(if we're only talking about open strings. i could say the same for fretted notes)

and this is only true if you use the neck pickup jackass. go listen to some music, pretty sure the bridge pickup dominates in music.

Gfunk

I like the Deftones, so I need 24 frets.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Greatdeceiver

guys whats this bashing all about?It is common sense that 27 frets is the only way to go. :P

ESPANDY16

guys whats this bashing all about?It is common sense that 27 frets is the only way to go. :P

+1
now we can seriously make ears bleed metal

DeathrollJM

24 fret guitars, even if you don't use the extra two still give you a s2 frte clearence at around the 15th fret, making it easer and more natural to play most of the common range of notes played beyond the 12th fret.

I checked this out between my 21 fret strat, fret m-207 and f-50, while you have to start playing with your thumb at the heal of the neck pocket by the 14th fret with the strat, on the f-50 the neck pocket and the neck pocket "curvature" on the neck it self wont start until about the 17th fret (thats a 3 fret extension). This makes the zone from the 13-17 fret play like the lower register of the fret board and not like you playing you are against the body, you're achieve more hand clearance for those notesuntil you hit the 17th fret.

therefore, the 24 fret makes the "upper mids register" more comfortable to play, unless you like your hands cramped up against the body of the neck with your thumb at an awkward angle to the heal.

even so the neck pickup difference isn't much, the 24 neck pup will be a tab bit brighter and as said before, this can be counteracted with dialing in your tone, it won't sound noticeable, if any at all, i think the 1/2 inch difference doesn't do anything to the tone, but thats just me, and i don't like to have a loose sound, i like the bottom end to be as tight as possible, so i avoid the neck pickups unless I am in a clean channel. Even then the 1/2 to an 1" difference is hardly noticeable.

Bridge The Void

Alright, Pushead or someone else clear this up for me, lots of physics in this thread.

I use my neck pickup for cleans. Only. Even if there is a slight change in sound, would it be disappointing in any way? Remember - cleans only.

Please, this is a make or break question. Since I love the sound of my 22 fret Eclipse I've been avoiding 24 fret eclipses like the plague. It would be a massive relief to be able to look at 24 fretters again, since the majority of LTD eclipses are indeed 24 frets.

For the record I prefer the look of 22 fretters, and I'd never use all 24 on an eclipse anyway...fret access sucks :p

Pushead

Alright, Pushead or someone else clear this up for me, lots of physics in this thread.

Give me a few hours, I'll do a few clips between two guitars. Both will have EMG 81s at the neck, tuned the same, played through the same amp with the same settings, miked with a 57 and run through the same software. Hell, both guitars are even the same color, and made by the same company.

You can tell us if you hear a difference.

Bridge The Void

I prefer the sound of #2, I can hear a difference but you mentioned wood so that might be it.

ToRo Pj0tR

You could make a clip with both the neck and bridge pickups of the same guitar.

Then you could tell if it's the wood, and compare the sound of both guitars neck pickup to the bridge pickup...

as far as im aware, the string doesn't have nodal points when you play it normally. if it did, it wouldnt ring at the frequency you want it to. if it did, you would have created it with your finger/whatever, and it would be what normal guitarists call a "harmonic". which is not really a harmonic but it is. you know what i mean by that.

If by nodal point you mean the knots of the wave, then there actually are those where ever you play...

Every overtone has at least one. On the basefrequency the wavelength ==2*the length of the string.

The wavelength is halfed for every harmonic overtone, so the first overtone has a knot on the 12th fret(halfway from the nut to the saddles) and the wavelength==the length of the string...

And what guitarists call harmonics are normal overtones with the base frequency deathened...

it does if you use emg's. they have virtually no magnetic pull on the strings, so using the bridge pickup renders the neck useless, as it has no effect on the strings :D

:confused:I really don't understand what you mean by that... The neck pickup is useless if you use the bridge pickup???

Mr.Dahl

Besides the two extra frets on a 24 fret guitar. What's the advantages and disadvantages on a 24 and 22 fret guitar? Does anyone actually use the 2 extra frets? Maybe soloing?

-Thanks.

You can't play all the KH solos

espdood

You can't play all the KH solos

Which sometimes is a good thing..lol

Bridge The Void

Try two guitars with the same scale length, if you have that facility.

xx_matticus_xx

i have one of each, ibanez rg and strat has 21 neway

k65h

I like like the upper fret access on 24 fret guitars like the Horizon, Soloist , or Carvin DC for example.
They're designed with a deep cutaway to reach the 24th fret.
So, that makes getting to the 22nd fret even easier.
No hinderance to the hand.

I use the 23rd and 24th fret once in awhile.
But, most of the time stay below that.

gab4554

You guys all fail... 23 frets are da best!! just kidding. I use sometimes the 23rd and 24th but not as much as the other frets. But i still prefer 24 then 22.

Vivo

on my LTD EC400 (which has 24 frets) it is difficult to reach the 24th fret. On my Eclipse Archtop (22 frets) the acces until the last fret is granted. I don't need 24 frets. For some shredding, okay. But that's just not my style.

Post to Thread