Question on Sperzels

Updated
jaylaw90
Ive got a ESP Eclipse-I CTM FT Full Thickness and its got Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners on it and its really pissing me off how hard it is to change strings so Im actually keen to change them to sperzels and just wondering if they would fit in or would there be holes after I put it in? Thanks Jay
R11GJH

I don't know about the magnums but when I changed my Gibson Explorer tuners for sperzels there is a visible hole left from the old tuners on the rear of the headstock.

DUFF

I'd personally stick with the gotoh magnum locks. I have them on my standard series viper, and they keep the guitar amazingly in tune. I personally find sperzels to be cheaply made. I had sperzels on 2 of my Gibson les pauls, which now have gotoh's. The first time I had them on my gibson, I thought I may have had a defective set. I switched to gotoh's and the tuning problems went away. I bought another les paul, I decided to give sperzels another chance, and was let down once again. Gotoh's are the way to go in my opinion. They just take a little time to get use to.

load more replies (2 of 2)
R11GJH

Personally all my guitars except my LP Custom I have changed the tuners to Sperzels. I find they are high quality, keep guitars in tune very well, easy to change strings. Plus all the ESP signiture models I have came with Sperzels as standard.

Metfuk

I yet have to install my Sperzels on the guitar that I'm building now, but I'm actually kinda shocked that they require such a thin headstock! It may not be thicker than 15 mm at max or the winding rod will be too low under the mounting bolt!

It is no problem now because I'm still building and I have yet to make the headstock, but damn, I hope it won't be too thin for the force it has to hold up to.

R11GJH

15mm is not thin. A Viper has a 14mm Headstock and EXP 15mm and a custom Les Paul has 13mm.

Metfuk

15mm is not thin. A Viper has a 14mm Headstock and EXP 15mm and a custom Les Paul has 13mm.

Yes, my Gibson Explorer has 15 mm.

You'll appreciate them when they're not dropping shavings of strings in the back of your tuner down the line like a Sperzel does.

What exactly do you mean with this comment? 8o

JoeBender

I have Sperzels on my customized Strat and I don't really feel they keep the strings in tune very well. And I even stretch the strings like 4 or 5 times after I change them, so that's not the problem. It could be the the fact that I use 11-50s tuned to E standard on a 25.5 inch scale guitar though. :p

Metfuk

I have Sperzels on my customized Strat and I don't really feel they keep the strings in tune very well. And I even stretch the strings like 4 or 5 times after I change them, so that's not the problem. It could be the the fact that I use 11-50s tuned to E standard on a 25.5 inch scale guitar though. :p

Or maybe there's something else wrong like a weak neck joint or low quality trem/bridge.

load more replies (1 of 1)
R11GJH

I have only used Sperzels with Tune o matic bridges, I don't know how good they are with a Trem. I find once the stretch has gone from the string they stay in tune.

Post to Thread