ESP or LTD Eclipse?

Updated
Harvest
First of all, i'm new here, so i'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not. But here it goes: I've been drooling over the snow white Eclipse CTM II. But is it really worth the money, or should i go for an LTD instead? i terms of sound quality etc etc? Thanks in advance, and keep on rocking
OutlawTorn

go ESP....my buddy owns an LTD EC-1000 and a ESP Eclipse Standard same pickups and set up and the ESP plays way better...spend the extra $$$ and go ESP

caustic69

Hello, does anyone here know if the strat clone, LTD ST-203, is routed for a bridge humbucker under the 3 single coil pickguard?

I would like to pick one of these up and replace the coil with a humbucker. I know the ST-203FR comes with a humbucker but I don't like Floyd Rose trems plus I want the 3 tone sunburst finish on the regular ST-203.

If it is routed already, I can just do the swap pretty easily.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. Maybe if you have one, you can pop the pickguard off quickly and take a look. Thanks very much!

Rock on!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Harvest

Yeah it looks good.. Just got confused for a second since my friend has it with a white headstock. But i asked him, and he had it made after he bought the guitar..

Thanks for helping me out everybody. I am definately going for the ESP now ;)

espdood

I'm gonna go with everybody here and say save up the money and get the ESP standard. I don't like the way the LTD was made. I had to return my EC-1000, because the fret job was done poorly and there was blemishes on the binding of the neck. There was also a noticeable paint blemish on the top as well. The ebony fretboard looked like it was overdone with gloss and doesn't feel like a "real" ebony fretboard for some reason. If you really want an ltd ec-1000, you'd have to go to a store to try out the EC-1000's if any store carries a bunch of them, and inspect them..I bet you can find that 1 if you're lucky out of how many they had as they all may differ in quality. I don't have any stores near me that carry a bunch of ltd models and I'm confident if I bought a standard..it'll sound/play/feel/ much better out of the box (first try) than most ltd eclipses out there.

2fat2furious

I was in the same situation as you are a couple months ago, I wasn't sure what to get, and what was worth the money. Now, I am a very proud VHB Eclipse II owner, in overall quality, tone, playability, comfort(while sitting and standing) it just completely surpasses the LTD in every category (including price ;)) If you don't want to spend an additional 800 just check the spam thread in the general discussion forum, theres bound to be one there, and if not ask around or ust wait a little while longer.

P.S. I got my eclipse for $1030(including shipping and ESP HSC) thanks to Yo Daddy, great deal.

Mr.Dahl

Go for the LTD. 24 frets. The ESP has only 22

Harvest

So what? I play rhytm guitar anyway. Nad if i play solo I would just move the 24th fret on the G-string (Pun intended.. Or not) to the 20th(?) fret on the b string :)

CL4P-TP

Is that really the deciding factor for you?

Kannon

I own an EC1K-VB. It's a great guitar, but I've played the Eclipse II. It's better. I would barely have paid 250 more for the Eclipse but it wasn't an option at the time. Wish it had been.

btw, Hamers are great. :)

Deadpulse

If you look on the ESP website's pictures, the 2 finishes are pretty acurate as to how they look in person. The finish on the LTD isn't nearly as nice as on the ESP (the LTD looks almost purplish when put side to side with the EC-II). I was recently in the same predicament and pulled the trigger on the EC-II myself.

The contours on the ESP are much nicer too.

CL4P-TP

EC-1000's have an incredibly large amount of excess abalone as well.

TheSandman

I've owned 2 EC-1000's and an just picked up a vintage white ESP Eclipse and they're too totally different animals. The quality and sound of the ESP over the EC is nuts. The ESP has a better sound then the EC, through the bridge, the EC had too much high end for my liking, I like a low, deep chug, and the EC didn't do it for me. The cleans are good on the EC though, ESP's a little better. The advantage of the EC over the ESP is the tuners, the EC comes with sperzels (or schaller) locking tuners and the ESP doesn't. Depending on the abalone finish on the EC, it can be good or bad. I had a cherry EC and the abalone did not go well at all with the cherry, but I did have a snow white EC and the abalone looked beautiful with the white, best color in the EC IMO is the snow white with abalone. The EC is a very nice guitar for the money, but if you can spring for it, go with the ESP.

MikeC

The Sandman,
I just rescently purchased an Eclipse and mine came with the Sperzel locking tuners on it. I played both the EC and the ESP and I have to say the ESP is overall better. As Sandman stated, the quality and sound on the ESP is much greater then on the EC. I tried both guitars on a different number of amps, and I've played both side by side and I must say, the sustain and tone on the ESP is better IMO. Alot of people complain about the price difference because the specs on each guitar are the same, but the overall quality is unbeleivably. I'm not putting down the EC, because they're great instruments and they play fantastically. I'm just saying that for the extra money, you're deffinatly getting what you pay for,

TheSandman

The Sandman,
I just rescently purchased an Eclipse and mine came with the Sperzel locking tuners on it. I played both the EC and the ESP and I have to say the ESP is overall better. As Sandman stated, the quality and sound on the ESP is much greater then on the EC. I tried both guitars on a different number of amps, and I've played both side by side and I must say, the sustain and tone on the ESP is better IMO. Alot of people complain about the price difference because the specs on each guitar are the same, but the overall quality is unbeleivably. I'm not putting down the EC, because they're great instruments and they play fantastically. I'm just saying that for the extra money, you're deffinatly getting what you pay for,

what year was it? Mine came with gotoh tuners, thinking of switching to sperzels

slate

hey y'all ,
i'm going to play devils advocate here and say that i reckon the LTD eclipse is actually BETTER than the ESP .
i own both an EC1000 deluxe and an eclipse 2 standard - the difference in build quality between the two is negligable and the tone of the LTD is way fatter than the ESP .
yes , i know the LTD has no maple cap , and this will make a big difference tonally - but the ESP sounds very thin in comparison , and really nothing like a les paul .
either ive got a really good LTD or a duff ESP , but i'm seriously considering selling the ESP - it just doesnt get used .
pretty dissapointing given that i had to wait 6 months for it ( i'm a lefty )....
the EX standard i ordered at the same time is another story though - its absolutely monstrous !!
:)

Mr.Dahl

Fuck the ESP . Go for the LTD.

Mr.Dahl

hell yeah, ESP ARE a bit overrated.. lol xD

StarIVBurns

hell yeah, ESP ARE a bit overrated.. lol xD

fail x 10000000

redlightklondike

I just got an LTD EC400Vf. While it has impressed the shit out of me, I would still get an ESP if I could really afford it. But the fact is I can't. And I shouldn't. I don't want a $1500 guitar until I deserve it, skill-wise. Nothing says "douche bag" more than some tool with a wicked guitar but can't rip it to shreds.

If I ever get good enough--and if I ever can afford it--I'll get an ESP eclipse. That 2008 faded one is unreal!

rlk

Fordman65

I just got an LTD EC400Vf. While it has impressed the shit out of me, I would still get an ESP if I could really afford it. But the fact is I can't. And I shouldn't. I don't want a $1500 guitar until I deserve it, skill-wise. Nothing says "douche bag" more than some tool with a wicked guitar but can't rip it to shreds.
If I ever get good enough--and if I ever can afford it--I'll get an ESP eclipse. That 2008 faded one is unreal!

rlk

fail.

load more replies (1 of 1)
BrazilianBootyLover

rlk

Why? I got a custom on the way and I suck! :lol

Besides, who says you can't have a really great guitar just cause you're not shreddy Mc fun tits?

Post to Thread