ESP M-II bolt-on or neck-thru?? What's the difference?

Updated
Mr.Dahl
Yup, what is it? What's the different between a bolt-on and a neck-thru guitar?? Or I mean, is the sound different?
KH Guitar Freak

Tonally yes...

Quality wise, very debatable, best you go out there and have a try of both...

Some argue neck thrus sustain better than bolt on, which I myself reckon is untrue, as I own a KH2 bolt on and a KH2 Vintage, and they sustain pretty much as well as each other...

Of course neck thrus have the neck running thru the body, thus more maple, and generally brighter sounding...

Ravens Creed

In my experience, Neck thrus do sustain better and tend to have a fuller sound with bolt ons having a more treble sounding. The other advantage is access to the highest frets.

I also think they look much better.

Horses for courses though.

tmoori

In my experience, Neck thrus do sustain better and tend to have a fuller sound with bolt ons having a more treble sounding. The other advantage is access to the highest frets.

I also think they look much better.

Horses for courses though.

hmmm i have had the oppostie experience. all the neck thus have sounded brighter/more treble and all my bolt ons have had a fuller sound.

load more replies (2 of 2)
nwright

I think it's more a player preference than generalizing that one will inherently sound better than the other.

IMO, the advantage of bolt-ons for shredder type players is the increased adjustability of a bolt-on neck (shimming and such) to get the best action.

For me, my most consistent guitars have been bolt-ons. But, that doesn't mean much I don't think.

Ravens Creed

Yes, thats one of the wonderful thing about guitars. Everybody's expectations, demands and ears are different.

I'll always choose a thru neck or a set neck over a bolt on but I love the fact others will disagree. Even though they are wrong.... :)

Mr.Dahl

I've played on the KH-4 (it's like the M-II) with bolt-on neck (I did it this year in Grecce) and on a LTD M-400, which is a cheaper model of the ESP M-II. The KH-4 with bold-on neck was amazing. Incredible sound and a fuckin' nizzzzzzze guitar etc.... I think I'm gonna go for the bolt-on....

KH Guitar Freak

Or get the KH4 neck thru...

Dilemma dilemma... 8o :p

Mr.Dahl

Or buy the M-II Urban Camo ;)

Post to Thread