EC-1000 vs. Eclipse

Updated
CarpeDiem
I Aleady Asked This In Another Thread But No One Replied, Hopefully Someone Here Can Help Me Out. I Already Own A EC-1000, Great Guitar. I'm Ordering A Second One This Thursday So I Don't Waste Time On Stage Tuning Up And Down. I Know The Differences Between The 2 Guitars, Except The ESP Has 22 Frets, While The LTD Has 24. What Difference Does This Make? Will The ESP Still Be Able To Drop To C With Out And Problems?? Trying To Figure Out If The Price Difference Is Really Worth It (I'm A Lefty, So Its A Big Jump) Thanks!
KH Guitar Freak

I Aleady Asked This In Another Thread But No One Replied, Hopefully Someone Here Can Help Me Out. I Already Own A EC-1000, Great Guitar. I'm Ordering A Second One This Thursday So I Don't Waste Time On Stage Tuning Up And Down. I Know The Differences In The Guitar Except The ESP Has 22 Frets, While The LTD Has 24. What Difference Does This Make? Will The ESP Still Be Able To Drop To C With Out And Problems?? Thanks!

Just makes the neck pup shift up and down the body...

You can drop tune the ESP no doubt, but you'll need a minor setup, no biggie...

Yo Daddy

My standard and custom handle drop C just fine. Just be sure to get the guitar setup right and you'll be fine. Don't worry about it. And yes, it's worth the money.

CarpeDiem

Thanks. As Long As They Can Get It To Me In A Reasonable Time, I'm Going For It. They Have The LTDs In Stock So Well See If ESP Has Any Vintage Black Leftys Laying Around.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Xochitl

-

Price and Availability

LTD Ec-1000 in BLACK
Price: Approx $850usd with OHSC
Availability: The guitar in question is widely available through any number of ESP dealers worldwide.

ESP Eclipse I CTM
Price: Approx $1,500usd with OHSC
Availability: Currently discontinued. Origionally only available outside of the U.S. as an import model. Recently, it has been replaced with the Eclipse VTB, which is functionally identical, but has noticable consmetic differences. Only the 1st generation CTM will be made refernce to in this report.

CONCLUSIONS: the Ec1k certainly has an advantage over the CTM in both price and avilability. Quite simply put, it is alot easier to find and buy an Ec1k than it is for a CTM.

ADVANTAGE: Ec1k

Differneces in Basic Functional and Cosmetic Features

Controls - The Eclipse CTM features a 2 vol./, 2 tone control with a 3 way toggle switch. The Ec1k also featuresa 3 way toggle but has only one tone control.
Adavntage: CTM

Comtrol configuration - Both guitars have the Toggle switch in the same location (on the upper horn of the guitar). The CTM however, has its four knobs in a traditional "Les Paul" configuartion while the Ec1k has its three knobs running in-line parrallel to the lower curve of the guitars body, putting the guitars contorls much closer to where the Guitarists hand would be, unlike as on a "Strat" however, the knobs are far enough so that they are not disturbed during agressive picking. The Ec1k also cleverly has the 2 volume controls switched, putting the control for the bridge pikcup where one would traditionally expect the control for the neck pickup. this improves the acessibility of the neck pickup volume control. the neck pickups is the most commonly used of the two pickups so this little "switch up" proves to be a decidedly useful feature.

**it should be noted that as of 2005, Eclipse standards in the U.S. have the same control configuration as the LTD versions.

Advantage: Ec1k

Neck - The CTM features a 22 fret neck while the Ec1k features a 24 fret neck, giving the Ec1k a full 2 octave range for each string. The neck shapes of the guitars are extremely similar, though the Ec1k seems slightly thinner. This may be due to the extended number of frets. The difference in neck shape however, is EXTREMLY minimal.

Tuners: Both guitars feature Sprezel Locking tuners.
Adavntage: NA

Hardware: The eclipse CTM features high quality GOTOH JAPAN harware. The Ec1k features TonePros Locking hardware. Although both are very high quality, the Tonepros harware has the locking mechnaisms and is generally considered "Top of the Line"

Guitar Body Design - At a glance, the body designs of both guitars seem very similar. The majority of the differences lie in the cutaway area. The Ec1k has a smaller, sharper cutaway, making the cutaway go slightly deeper and giving the guitar a much sleeker look. Futhermore, the Ec1k features a "hand scoop" carved out of the back of the cutaway, improving the upper-fret comfort. The CTM has no such carving. the smaller cutaway and hand scoop, coupled with the 24 fret neck give the Ec1k superior fret acess.

*it should be noted that as of 2005, Eclipse standards in the U.S. have the same cutaway shape as the LTD versions.

Binding and Inlays- Both guitars feature white binding on the neck and body. The Ec1k however has abalone inlay and purfling while the CTM has a 3ply white binding and pearloid inlay. From an stricly "cost" point of view, the abalone is considered to be a more "high-end" feature. This feature is also, however, considered by most to make the guitar look "Gaudy" and "Overdone". This makes the advantage a matter of personal prefernce more than anything else. It is the opinion of the researcher however, that the more simple, clean look of the white binding and pearloid inlay makes the CTM look more apropriate for the style of music it was initially designed for.
Advantage: CTM

Nut - The CTM features a high quaility Bone nut. The Ec1k however features the EARVANA compensated nut. This nut enables more precise tunning and thus imporves the pitch accuracy of the guitar.

Harware Finish - Both guitars feature gold harware, the CTM however, has brused gold harware while the Ec1k features "shiny" harware. Preference on this issue is mostly a personal matter, but it should be noted that the brusged gold finish of the CTM seems much more durable and resistant to oxidization. Futhermore, it more closely matches the brushed gold harware on the sperzel tuners.

TONE

Unplugged - In this area, the CTM really shined, it was very resonant and very loud when being played unplugged. Even natural harmonics were very loud. The Ec1k also had an exellent unplugged sound, but it was not as loud or resonant as the CTM

Bridge Pickup (Amped) - Both guitars feature a Model 81 EMG pickup in the bridge position and, as would be imagined the tones were very similar, though not identical. The Ec1k seemd to come off as being a tad brighter (only a tad). The CTMs neck pickup seemed to have a bit of clarity and resonance that the Ec1k lacked. It should be noted that these two differences were VERY minor. A blindfolded man listening to both would not likely be able to tell the difference unless he was listening to it for a very long time.
Advantage: CTM (barely)

Neck Pickup (Amped) - NOTE: The Ec1k comes with a Model 81 pickup stock. For the purposes of the comparison, the neck pickups was changed to a Model 60. Unlike as with the Bridge pickups comparison, the CTM held a clear adavantage over the Ec1k in this department. Due to the fact that the CTM is a 22 fret guitar, it puts the neck pickup where the octave point is located. This tonal "sweet spot" is missed by the Ec1k, which instead uses the area for an additional 2 frets. Though neither had a bad showing, the CTMs clean tones surpassed that of the Ec1k. Harmonics were effortless and the tone seemed to mimic that of a 60's strat.

*it should be noted that as of 2005, the Ec-1000 features an EMG model 60 in the neck position.

Both Pickups Engaged (Amped) - The CTM seemed to have a more "bluesy" tone to it when both pikcups were engage. This is likely due to the combination of the "harmonic sweet spot" from the neck pickup and the clarity and bite of the bridge pickup. The Ec1k had a good showing, but once again, seemed to lack just a little bit of clarity and resonance that the CTM had.

PLAYABILITY

Balance - Both guitars had thier balance tested using the most slippery nylon strap i could find. Both displayed PERFECT balance. Wherever you would hold your guitar, thats exactly where these two guitars stayed. ESP is known for making very well balanced guitars and these two are no exeption. Both displayed perfect balance.
Advantage: Equals

Fret Edges: Neither guitar had sharp fret edges, but the CTM had a truly phenomenal fret dressing job. each fret was shaped perfectly, filed very evenly and there was not a rough edge to be found

Fretboard: This is one of the more fundamental differences between the two guitars. the Ec1k features a Rosewood fretbaord while the CTM has an Ebony fretboard. The CTM's fretbaord is resoundingly smoother, as ebony boards usually are. Slides, note bending and tapping seemed virtually effortless on the CTM. It should be noted however, that although it was not as smooth as the CTMs board, the Ec1k's fretboard was also quite good. Among rosewood fretboards, the Ec1k has one of the higher quality fretboards I've encountered. LTD uses very high density rosewood for their high-end models (300, 400 and 1000 series) the result is a fretbaord with a much smoother feel and a much darker, richer look than the average rosewood board.

Conclusions:

If nothing else, my research has yeilded to me, it is this: Both guitars are truly top-notch performance guitars. As far as Egronomics and features go, the Ec1k comes out on top. The CTM however, virtually dominated the tone and playability department. The CTM can safely be considered to a far superior guitar, but the Ec1k is definetly a better value. As far as applicability for purposes, the CTM is more of a guitar to be used in the studio, for absolute apex of tone. The Ec1k howver, with its greater ease of restringing (from the tonepors hardware) and lower price makes it the more Gig friendly guitar, and thus more appropriate for the types of musicians that frequent these boards.

Considering the findings, as well as the price and availability, my final conclusions can be summed up in a single sentance.

"Both guitars absolutley kick @$$."

-Richmond J. Prescott

indytruckboy

That was a great review/comparison. I am in the pickle jar now trying to decide.

Let me ask everyones opinion.

Buy a EclipseII VTB, or a EC1000 VTB AND a new EC400VF? What would you do?

load more replies (2 of 2)
Stephy

dude, why do capitalize the first letter of every word?

thats the strangest thing I've seen!

Shreddy

dude, why do capitalize the first letter of every word?

thats the strangest thing I've seen!

LOFL

load more replies (2 of 2)
Xochitl

What Are You Talking About?

metalhobo

It's because he's typing with all caps

CarpeDiem

It's The Way I Type...Don't Like It, Then Don't Read It!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Yongjae K.

nobody feels any difference between these two? one has 305mm fretboard radius the other has 350mm. I don't understand why they make LTD guitars have 350mm radius fretboard. Generally, 12"(305mm) is standard, you know.

Post to Thread